3 Common Mistakes When Refinishing Hardwood Floors Yourself

What to Watch Out for When Refinishing Wood Floors Yourself

Avoid these 3 major hazards for a better DIY refinishing project

Refinishing your own hardwood floors is one of the most satisfying home improvement projects out there. And by taking on the labor yourself, you can save a ton of money. But be warned – refinishing wood floors is a big job with plenty of room for error. Small mistakes during the refinishing process can lead to unsightly and uneven wood floors that you’re now stuck with. That’s why we’ve gathered together a few tips to help you avoid common mistakes.

Keep Your Sander Moving

A drum sander can be an intimidating piece of equipment, but you need a tool that powerful in order to get all of the old finish off your wood floor. A lot of homeowners who take on this project make the mistake of running the sander for too long in one place. That ends up creating a dip in the floor that may be invisible to the naked eye but won’t be invisible to the foot. The best strategy is to be slow and methodical but to always keep the sander moving.

Get Rid of All the Dust

Your average drum sander will vacuum up about 90% of the sawdust that it creates. But you should expect the remaining 10% to go anywhere and everywhere. It’s imperative that you get all this dust up – including from surfaces off the floor like window sills – because you’ll be able to spot any remaining dust in your new finish. Again, a methodical approach is best. Clean the area thoroughly, then clean it again, and clean it again. It only takes a few specks of dust to blemish an otherwise gleaming new finish.

Let the Floor Dry Completely

After you apply your new finish, it will be dry to the touch in an hour or so. But that doesn’t mean the finish has fully set, and if you move around on it, you could do a lot of damage. In general, the more drying time, the better. You should wait at least a few days before you walk around on it and start to move things into place, but giving it a whole week is the best policy. Be sure to account for this long wait as you plan out your project.

Get Supplies, Advice and Assistance at Just Around the Corner

We salute the DIY enthusiast, but we always caution people that refinishing wood floors yourself takes planning and preparation. You can find all the materials you will need for the job at Just Around the Corner along with hardwood flooring experts to answer all your questions. If you’re ready to get the project rolling, take advantage of special flooring discounts for a limited time only.

 

Ask Questions Free EstimateDownload Coupon