More and more, bamboo flooring is being chosen for its exotic beauty and unique look. In the interest of helping you make an informed flooring decision that is right for you, we have listed some of the pros and cons below.
Bamboo floors are beautiful and exotic looking – and are oh-so-hot right now. When it comes to grain patterns and color, bamboo offers exceptional selections that can transform a pretty room into a stunning beautiful oasis.
Bamboo is a fast growing renewable resource which is considered a grass product more often than a wood product, and it grows so quickly (matures in about five years) that the bamboo sources are replenished much faster than wood forests (taking 30 to 60 years).
Harder than Oak
Bamboo flooring, if harvested and manufactured correctly, is generally harder than a traditional oak floor. This is a reason for homeowners to take into consideration the source of their bamboo flooring.
- Traditional solid bamboo flooring is approved for installation on or above grade (no basements).
- The newer technology, “Solid Strand” bamboo can be installed on or above or below grade.
- Bamboo flooring is also available in engineered construction that can have either the standard tongue and grooves for nail, staple or glue down installations or they can feature click locking technology for a glue-free floating installation.
As with all things, you get what you pay for. Some bamboo options can be found as low as $2 per square foot. Keep in mind, though, to ensure quality, ask your flooring professional about the source and manufacturer of the bamboo flooring you are considering for purchase.
There are different manufacturing processes for bamboo flooring, and each process has differing durability, installation, maintenance, and longevity specifications. Make sure you know the type of manufactured bamboo (Traditional Solid, Solid Strand, or Engineered) being presented.
Keep in mind that regardless of bamboo plank construction, it is a natural product and will scratch and dent if not taken care of properly.
- With its exquisite look and variety of colors, bamboo will be a stunning addition to your home
- Bamboo is environmentally friendly
- Can be harder than oak
- The source and construction of your bamboo flooring is an important deciding factor
- Bamboo is a natural product; care and maintenance is crucial to keeping it looking beautiful and stunning.
We want you to be happy with the flooring choices you make for every room in your home. A bamboo floor is stunning and beautiful, and we want to make sure that it is the right flooring choice for you. For additional information or questions, please contact or visit the knowledgeable and experienced flooring professionals at Just Around The Corner in St. Louis, MO. We are happy to serve Chesterfield, South County, Clayton, and all over the St. Louis Metro area.